How to Apply to Doctoral Degree Programs
Admission calendar and deadlines for application
- April 30 – deadline to submit application to doctoral degree programs for September enrollment (e-application is open between 1 February and 30 April)
- November 30 – deadline to submit application to doctoral degree programs open for February enrollment (e-application is open between 1 September and 30 November)
- Please note that all applicants for IVF scholarships must send full application pack by 30 November (and only later apply online for September round), and all applicants for EMA2 scholarships must keep the consortia deadlines and apply via these.
- PhD candidates interviews – on the basis of your application, you will be invited to an interview (in June or in February) - candidates from visa countries can be evaluated via skype interviews or correspondence
All PhD programs applicants must have completed prior Master degree education, preferably in social sciences or humanities. Admission is granted to candidates with good study results, strong motivation and interest in the topics. Proof of English language proficiency and recommendation letters required.
- Read the current Dean's call for PhD applications
- Read the PhD call of a chosen degree program for concrete requirements (below) and fyi: see general entry requirements for English-taught doctoral programs at MU
- Consult your proposal with a potential supervisor – the choice of topic and a supervisor are crucial for PhD studies. The list of supervisors with their academic profile as well as key topics of the respective program are published here: http://www.fss.muni.cz/admission/phd_studies?lang=en (in the section Full-time and part-time doctoral programs).
- E-application: establish the online record of your application (it has to be submitted and paid), and send us the relevant documents
Documents as part of PhD application
As part of your application, you also need to submit
- Your CV/resumé + list of publications
- Proposal for PhD dissertation
- Diploma (or confirmation of current studies) and full transcripts, ev. diploma supplement
- Those who are not able to take part in the entrance examinations
- Proof of English – minimum level B2 or equivalent
- 2 Recommendations – preferably sent by the referees themselves to our mail or e-mail contacts
Please name the files e.g. CV_Surname_Name, etc. and send pdf files with more pages scanned in one file preferably.
Important!: Prior to enrollment, it is necessary to obtain the formal recognition of prior education in the Czech Republic.
Application information about study programs and fields
- International Territorial Studies – study field International Relations
- International Territorial Studies – study field European Studies
- Political Science
- Sociology – study field Sociology
- Sociology – study field Environmental Humanities (currently not opened)
- Social Policy and Social Work
Admission contacts & useful links
- Admission Office, FSS MU, Jostova 10, Brno, Czech Republic: Ms. Dagmar Hábová, phone: +420 549 491 913, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Masaryk University Admission Section – Detailed information about Masaryk University, degree programs offered, admission calendars, tuition fees, degree recognition, visa procedures, and also about studies and life in Brno in general, etc. FAQs