The Faculty of Social Studies ranks among young and dynamic faculties of Masaryk University and focuses on both education and research in the fields of Sociology, Political Science, International Relations, European Studies, Psychology, Media Studies and Journalism, Social Policy and Social Work, and Environmental Studies, with the recent additions of Gender Studies, Social Anthropology and Strategic and Security Studies. The Faculty is fully committed to linking educational activities with its own research projects.
It offers education at all three levels according to Bologna structure: Bachelor's, Master's and doctoral. Degree programmes are based on the internationally recognized credit system (ECTS) and are continually being adapted to meet changes in society and its current needs. While at the two postgraduate levels, there are whole degree programmes open in English, Bachelor's degrees are currently offered in Czech only.
Master's degree programmes in EnglishMaster's degree programmes are designed as a four-semester course of study (120 ECTS credits). They are open to students holding a BA or equivalent degree in the social science or the humanities. You find the study administrator of these programmes in International Office - or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- European Politics a comprehensive program of instruction in the fields of comparative politics and European integration. Students will receive training in theory and methodology and will acquire extensive empirical knowledge in these areas of study.
- Sociology provides students with basic skills that enable them to conduct sociological research, and understand and explain social phenomena. The theoretical as well as methodological knowledge gained prepares students to make sense of the rapidly changing world that we live in and participate in shaping its future development.
Ph.D. degree programmes in EnglishAll doctoral programmes are accredited in English, and welcome applicants both to full-time and part-time form. Ph.D. research can be done in the degree programmes and study fields of:
- International Area Studies – International Relations and European Studies
- Political Science
- Psychology – General, Developmental and Social Psychology
- Social Policy and Social Work
- Sociology – Environmental Humanities and Sociology