Doctoral degree in full-time or combined form. The language of instruction is Czech.
The programme can be studied only as a single subject.
What will you learn?
The general aim of the PhD study programme in Environmental Studies is to form future researchers and managers in the field of environmental issues. The study in the programme enables acquiring knowledge and understanding of the broader contexts of environmentalism, especially with regard to its sociological, economic, psychological, ethical and historical aspects. The programme offers three basic fields of research and study: social ecological economics, pro-environmental behaviour from the perspective of social sciences, and the environmental aspects of the city and landscape. Systematic training in research techniques according to the chosen specialization and the deepening of the theoretical background will prepare the students for independent research activities within the scientific field or for management or expert activities in practice. The ultimate goal is forming a graduate who can apply the tools (empirical research tools, evaluation tools, analytical tools) of environmentally oriented research, evaluate and interpret someone else's research and critically (reflectively) examine their own assumptions and apply them creatively in research practice or in managerial positions in the governmental and non-governmental sector.
“Memento paupertatis in tempore abundantiae”
The PhD programme does not include internships.
The applicability of the PhD study programme graduates can be broken down into the following sub-areas:
1. Academia in humanities and social sciences, dealing with issues related to the environment at different levels, whether colleges or research institutions.
2. State administration (Ministry of the Environment, environmental departments of self-governing units, etc.). The graduates of the programme will have the capacity and skills necessary to prepare research and evaluation assignments, the ability to identify the weaknesses and strengths of the chosen approach to research, the ability to interpret the delivered research and evaluate reliability and validity of its results. Also an ability to compare research results with research on a similar topic abroad, skills for management positions (fundamentals in personal management for state administration). Ability of basic orientation in the field of environmental issues and policies, ability to conduct independent research within the chosen specialization (social ecological economics, pro-environmental behaviour, environmental aspects of the city and landscape) or within related areas.
3. The private sector (corporate environmentalist with a focus on PR and communication of environmental issues). Management and expert positions in NGOs at the local and the international level. In addition, graduates of the programme will be able to prepare, assign or independently conduct empirical research in the field of environmental issues, select a suitable strategy for communicating the results of such research, and interpret its results.
4. NGOs related to the environment, especially management positions in these organizations; eventually positions associated with PR and communication of environmental issues.
Full-time studies in czech
What will you learn?
Combined studies in czech
What will you learn?
- doc. Mgr. Bohuslav Binka, Ph.D.
- doc. PhDr. Jan Činčera, Ph.D.
- Mgr. Lucie Galčanová Batista, Ph.D.
- prof. Klaus Hubacek, PhD.
- RNDr. Petr Jehlička, Ph.D.
- Christian Kimmich, Ph.D., M.Sc.
- prof. PhDr. Jiří Kroupa, CSc.
- doc. PhDr. Lubor Kysučan, Ph.D.
- doc. RNDr. Lubica Lacinová, DrSc.
- prof. RNDr. Hana Librová, CSc.
- doc. RNDr. Anton Markoš, CSc.
- doc. Mgr. Petr Novotný, Ph.D.
- doc. Mgr. Petr Ocelík, Ph.D.
- doc. Mgr. Pavel Pospěch, Ph.D.
- doc. Dr. Tomáš Imrich Profant
- doc. Mgr. Karel Stibral, Ph.D.
- prof. JUDr. PhDr. Miloš Večeřa, CSc.
|Provided by||Faculty of Social Studies|
|Type of studies||Doctoral|
|Study options||single-subject studies||Yes|
|single-subject studies with specialization||No|
|Standard length of studies||4 years|
|Language of instruction||Czech|
|Doctoral board and doctoral committees|